Veterinary Care Voucher Debit Cards:
Get Help With Vet Bills in Northeast Ohio
Over 112,000 pet parents in Northeast Ohio struggle to pay the vet bills for their dogs and cats. One Health Organization wants to help as many pets in need as possible. Helping people pay for veterinary care is our most popular program, and we're always looking to make it easier for everyone.
NEW as of April 2023
We've made one big improvement to our program. No more paper Vouchers! We're now sending out Veterinary Care Voucher Debit Cards. Once an eligible household receives a Voucher Card, they may keep it for as long as they like. Each eligible household may receive up to $250 during each one-year cycle, as long as they are eligible that year.
How does the Voucher Card Program work?
These instructions are intended for low-income pet parents who live with dogs and cats in the seven-county service area (Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Portage, or Summit County, OH). Only apply if you believe you meet all eligibility requirements, as described below.
There are several important steps you need to take before you apply.
- Check your eligibility: Check below to see if you meet the eligibility requirements.
- Have documentation of current financial need: See below for acceptable documentation.
- Apply: If you believe you are eligible and have a current document, apply for a Veterinary Care Voucher Debit Card (Voucher Card). See the instructions below.
- Review: One Health Organization will review your application to make sure you're eligible.
- A Voucher Card is provided: If you are eligible and we have the available funds, we mail you a Membership Folder with a Voucher Card worth up to $250 to use as payment only at a participating veterinary clinic (also called a Veterinary Partner). If we do not have the funds when you need them most, scroll down to the section called, "Waiting List."
- Make an appointment with a Veterinary Partner: Call one of our Veterinary Partners to make an appointment for your dog or cat. We cannot guarantee that other veterinary practices will accept the Voucher Cards as payment.
- Pay the vet bill with your Voucher Card: After your vet visit, use your Vouchers to pay the Veterinary Partner. Please make sure you have some extra money with you in case the needed vet care is more expensive than planned.
There are three basic requirements.
- A dog or cat must live with you.
- You must live in Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Portage, or Summit County, Ohio.
- You must have an income at or below 200% of the current federal poverty guidelines.
|Total # of people in your household:||Your monthly household income must be no more than:|
What Voucher Cards Can Cover
Voucher Cards can pay for most veterinary care goods and services that are medically and surgically recommended by a veterinarian.
$250 should cover veterinary care needs for one healthy pet needing an annual wellness visit that requires a physical exam, some disease tests (e.g. heartworm test for dogs, FIV/FeLV test for cats, and fecal exams), and core vaccinations (annual shots for adult dogs and cats). If you have puppies or kittens needing their first series of vaccinations, more than one pet (count only dogs or cats), or a sick pet, the vet bill(s) may be much higher than $250 in a one-year cycle.
Vouchers may NOT be used for the following items.
- Paying off old debt. You must make arrangements with your veterinary clinic to pay off your debt.
- Tail docking and ear cropping to meet breed standards
- Goods and services that aren't medically or surgically necessary for your pet's health (or for your health benefit), such as microchipping, collars, leashes, toys, etc.
If you have needs that aren't met by our Voucher Card program, check out these other Northeast Ohio pet resources.
Only apply if you believe you're eligible. Have proof of meeting financial need requirements before you apply.
There are four options to apply. From the quickest to the slowest service options, they are listed below.
- Fill out the online application form below and upload a PDF (or photo) of your proof of meeting financial need. Do not print this online application form.
- Download the form that you can print, fill out, and mail with a copy of your proof of meeting financial need (coming soon!).
- Contact us by email and we can send you an email attachment of the application form that you can download, print, fill out, and mail the completed form with a copy of your proof of meeting financial need.
- Call the office and ask that we can mail one to your current address. Fill out the form, and mail the completed form with a copy of your proof of meeting financial need.
If have any questions about this application process, please call us at 216.920.3051 Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:30 pm ET (except observed holidays).